Since day one, Cool Material has been all about introducing you to the latest and greatest products. And while we can confidently say we’ve wanted everything we’ve posted, we can’t say we’ve needed it all. “Need” is applied to those timeless items that weave through our lives on a daily basis, sometimes in the background, sometimes front and center. Here we present the basic 50. These are the 50 things every man should own.
1. A suit … that actually fits
2. One great coffee table book every guest will pick up
3. A bottle opener you didn’t get for free at 2-for-1 night
On-ear, over-ear, in-ear—just make sure they’re good
5. A do-everything bag
6. A decent watch
It can be a vintage watch. It can be an expensive watch. It can be an affordable watch that has a special meaning to you. Just own a watch you care about.
7. A chef’s knife that wasn’t part of the knife set you got for your wedding
8. A knit tie
It’s the tie that can be dressed up or down
9. A pen that didn’t come in a pack of five
10. A toolbox with no less than a couple of screwdrivers, a hammer, tape measure, and a set of pliers
11. A camera that doesn’t make telephone calls
12. A television that does the fight scenes in Game of Thrones justice
13. A secret ingredient you use in dishes to impress guests and lady-friends
14. A coffee-making contraption that doesn’t involve pods
15. A do-everything navy blazer
16. Power tools
Because paying people to fix your house is expensive
17. A bottle of whiskey you only break out on special occasions with special people
18. A grey hoodie you can, and will, wear with everything
19. Proper beer glasses
If you don’t want to buy a collection for every different style of beer, may we suggest the good-for-almost-everything Teku.
20. A classic Zippo lighter
Even if you don’t smoke.
21. A properly seasoned cast-iron skillet that’s seen its fair share of beef
22. A cash stash
Because when emergencies strike, money helps.