It’s bold to try to update a classic cocktail like the sazerac, but mixologist Johnny Swet from The Rickey at Dream Downtown in New York City did just that. The base, like any good sazerac, is rye whiskey. It also contains Nocello Walnut Liquor, absinthe, Peychud’s Bitters, and a lemon twist. “While its undertones are rich with spices and its texture somewhat creamy, this drink is surprisingly light,” says Swet. The unusual blend of walnut liquor, absinthe and lemon will give your taste buds the holiday flavor you’ve been missing.
- 2 oz George Dickel Rye
- .75 oz Nocello Walnut Liquor
- 4 dashes Peychud’s Bitters
- Garnish: Lemon Twist
- Chill a rocks glass and coat with absinthe
- In mixing glass add Dickel Rye, Nocello Walnut Liquor and the Peychud’s bitters.
- Add ice and stir to temperature
- Strain into chilled, absinthe-coated glass
- Garnish with a lemon twist